Monday, May 9, 2011

The Chuckanuts

We have had the coldest April on record since the 1800's and twice our normal amount of rainfall - April was not a great month and May has not been much better so far.  Today was chilly and cloudy, at least in the morning, but I did manage to get out for a little while.  Went to the Chuckanuts, the low mountain range, south of Bellingham and the only place where the North Cascades come down to meet the sea.

There wasn't a lot blooming, the tide was in at the beaches and there wasn't a lot to see there, but I did check out a few spots.  Went to see how the Corallorhiza striata were doing along the Interurban Trail.  From there walked to Clayton Beach in Larrabee State Park and found the tide in.  Drove finally to the south end of Chuckanut Drive and took some time exposures of a cascade on the creek there.

First, the Corallorhizas, which were just starting to bloom.  For those who do not know, these are leafless, saprophytic orchids that get their nourishment from decaying organic material and not through the process of photosynthesis.  There is an area along the Interurban Trail where these grown in some profusion, an area I know through my good friend Marti Anderson.




From the area where the Corallorhizas were found I drove to the parking lot for Clayton Beach and walked to the beach, but was disappointed to find the tide in (note to self: check the tide table next time).  The only picture I too was of the flowers of the Salmonberry, about the only thing in bloom.  Saw no insects or butterflies, though they are usually to be seen along that trail.


Finished there I drove to the parking lot of the Oyster Creek Inn and scrambled down to the creek to get some time exposures of the cascade that comes down the hill and then under a bridge on the drive and past the restaurant.  Not the most exciting day, but at least I was able to get out for a little while and get the few pictures that I've posted here.


2 comments:

Upupaepops said...

Did you stop to eat at the Inn. I never have but they are said to be popular

I like the Rhodie Cafe.

Ron said...

I didn't stop there or anywhere else for lunch - just went on home. We're leaving for Spokane and know a little hole-in-the-wall Thai restaurant there that we're hoping to catch.